MENU

Class of the week: Studio 2

Amy Houstin helps photographer Kenn Foley adjust his set up for the art directors assignment.

Photo by TJ Barney

Photo by TJ Barney

By TJ Barney, Assistant EIC/ Web Master

The room lights up with a flash as photographers capture their images, while assistants make adjustments to create the perfect shot.

Studio 2 is the advanced class where students learn commercial photography. The class “teaches me what I need to know to go where I want to go in the photography world” said Britney Duggan.  Her goal after graduation is product photography.

Strobe and continuous light kits are used with black and white cards to help control the light.  The class learns how to set up table top product designs, and how to manipulate the camera in order to capture the client’s vision.

Students are working on the art director assignment and final projects.  The art director assignment teaches them the ability to bring an art director’s drawing to life. For the final project, they capture a series of images based on the skills learned throughout the semester.

Emily Páez says Studio 2 is the “most educational and interactive class I’ve taken. The one I enjoy and worry about the most.”

This class represents the professional studio environment so that students are prepared for real-world situations and studios.

Photo by TJ Barney

Britney Duggan photographs a bottle of soap as directed by her assignment sheet.