MENU

Class of the week: Introduction to Photojournalism

Introduction to Photojournalism class stops to take the last picture of the semester.

Photo by Lori King

Photo by Lori King

By Diane Larson, Copy Editor

It’s a bittersweet ending to the Owens Community College’s Intro to Photojournalism class in more ways than one.  Our final story was a group assignment: put together this online magazine of our visit to Bittersweet Farms in Whitehouse, Ohio.  It’s a bucolic farm setting that serves the needs of more than 50 people with autism.

Snow began gently falling.  It made everything so pretty, like a holiday snow globe. From there, we separated into groups and went to different buildings: wood shop, arts & crafts, and the horse barn. Some of the people at Bittersweet are residents, while others commute to the farm for day services.

Our class took pictures. Lots of pictures. We learned the stories of the people there.  Some are high functioning, while others are more severely impaired.  All are empowered by the unique therapy designed to work with the individual strengths of each person.

We also learned that Bittersweet Farms is currently in a fight to keep the federal dollars that allow it to function. It’s threatened by a change in Medicaid funding.   As we left, our instructor Lori King took a group photo of us.  One of the last times we were together as a class.  A bittersweet ending to a class we call amazing, insane, fun, exhausting and enlightening.

Photo by: Lori King