MENU

Class of the week: Women’s Self-Defense

Mandi Seguka pins Skip Carr for practice.

Photo by: TJ Barney
Owens Community College holds a women’s self-defense class on Saturday mornings in Alumni Hall’s gym. The class is taught by Paul Choi who is a 7th degree black belt. Choi teaches this class to, “help the women stay safe on and off campus.”

The self-defense class helps to mentally and physically condition students, this will help promote safety and awareness while on and off campus. The students in this class have learned a lot more about their daily routines and surroundings by taking this class. Student Janelle Roberts says, ”I am more aware of things, there was an exercise we did that (Choi) put us in different scenarios and helped us figure out how to handle them.”

Students are taught how to fend off attackers using different techniques that are taught in this class, each technique specific to a situation. There are different moves depending how you are attacked, explains Mandi Segura,”you could be in getting into your car not knowing someone is behind you and there you are putting your book bag or purse in and you’re attacked from behind. I find myself paying attention to what is around me more.”

The class helps make you be more aware of your surroundings. Choi takes the students though these situations and explains how to pay attention to what is around them. Lakesha Washington says, “I look in my backseat now before I get in my car at night, you never know when someone could’ve crawled in and is hiding.” This is perfect for people who work late, or have late classes, they should be aware as they cross a dark parking lot.

At the end of the semester Choi invites in a few members of a Hapkido group that will put these skills to the test. This is a group men who practice in a group together, they come in and “attack” the women so they can practice their newly acquired skills in a hands on manner. “We want to make sure the girls are taken care of, that they know how to defend themselves,” tells Skip Carr. Carr is an Owens alumni and member of the Hapkido group that Choi invites in to help with his women’s self-defense class.

Janelle Roberts pins Skip Carr at the end of the movement.

Photo by: TJ Barney