MENU

Athlete of the week

By Kyle Brown, Assistant Sports Editor

Athlete of the week Sierra Harley poses for a portrait on the Express' home court.

Photo by: Sean Ferry
Athlete of the week Sierra Harley poses for a portrait on the Express’ home court.

This weeks athlete of the week is Sierra Harley. Harley is a freshman from Africentric/Columbus, OH who is part of the reason why her basketball team has moved on to nationals coming up later this month.

In the regular season alone, Harley is this years league MVP for women’s basketball, finished third in the league with scoring, second in both assists and steals, tenth in rebounds and fifth in assist/turnover ratio.

Harley is the first freshman in Express history to receive league MVP honors, and joins a group of only four players in the program to be named MVP.

Through an email, Harley was able to discuss her thoughts on what it means to be an MVP, who she gives credit to, the best part of the season, and what she wants to improve on. Here is what she said:
“MVP means that all of the work I’ve put in after practice has been noticed and I’m evolving not just as a player but a person. I give credit to not only God but my mom and grandma for recommending that I self motivate. Eventually I started to. The best part of the season was realizing growth within myself. I want to improve my mindset and basketball IQ.”

Harley is a determined individual whose skills have not gone unnoticed.

The Express women’s basketball team will travel to Overland Park, KS before hitting the court again to play for the national championship March 17-21.