MENU

Athlete of the week: Josie Hall

By Kyle Brown, Assistant Sports Editor

Express catcher, Josie Hall, receives a call from the coach to relay to the pitcher during a game against Walsh University JV.

Express catcher, Josie Hall, receives a call from the coach to relay to the pitcher during a game against Walsh University JV. Photo by: Kyle Brown

This week’s athlete of the week goes to the catcher for the Owens Express softball team, Josie Hall.

This past week the Express hosted two teams, and Hall was able to demonstrate both plate patience on offense and great ball handling skills behind the plate.

It came down to a close race between Hall and teammate Tori Weidinger, but Josie showed what it took to be the athlete of the week with not just stats, but with motivation.

Throughout the four games, Hall had a .500 batting average, scored two runs, drove in two RBI’s, and also had plate patience with four walks. On defense, Hall had seven putouts, three assists and only had one passed ball, her first since March 9. Hall then took being a student athlete to the next level after being injured and still had the motivation to tell her coach to keep her in the game.

When asked what what going through her mind during the injury, Hall replied, “When I hurt myself, I tried to make my mind right first. I told myself I was fine and that I just hurt my knee a little, and if I didn’t think about it, the pain would go away. The worst thing is sitting on the side and not being able to play when that’s all you want to do. I had one more inning and I wasn’t going to stop short.”

Josie was then asked what she looks forward to in this young season, Hall replied, “I believe we have an awesome team, and I know we can go far. I’m looking forward to a ton of wins and going far in the tournament and making it to nationals in Clinton, Mississippi.”

Hall also showed respect for her mother and teammates by giving them credit.

“I wouldn’t be where I’m at as an athlete, student or person if it wasn’t for my mother. She pushes me to be a better softball player and person. Also, my teammates. They’re who I play for and without them, I wouldn’t love this game as much.”

Hailing from New London, Ohio, Hall is a sophomore nursing major at Owens. It was evident that in my conversation with Josie that she really appreciates everything and takes nothing for granted.

The Express will play at home on April 3 against Sinclair Community College.