MENU

Who’s got spirit? Owens does that’s who!

By Kiki Draper, Reporter

2015-04-13 KEB BigE selfie

Student Government President Nicholas Calmes (left), and other student government representatives pose with Owens mascot Big E.

Photo by: Katie Buzdor
Student government sponsored a spirit week for the students on April 6-10. Nicholas Calmes, Student Government President, said that, “We wanted to get more students involved on campus and have the whole experience of a normal college life. We just wanted things to be more fun and casual around here.” So they came up with different activities for the students to participate in each day throughout week.

They started the week out with students being able to take selfies with Big E, the Owens mascot, in the College Hall atrium on Monday. Stacy Field, Academic Representative at Owens, stated, “We chose to do a Big E selfie station, because our mascot was still very new.  We wanted to find a way to get him to come around the student body and get him out there, to get everyone more comfortable with him and to promote him.”

Nicholas Calmes (right) gets fitted for a coconut top by for his picture with Big E.

Photo by: Katie Buzdor
Nicholas Calmes (right) gets fitted for a coconut top by Abby Burnworth for his picture with Big E.

Tuesday, students had the chance to use their knowledge of the college in a game of Jeopardy to win prizes.

Wednesday, they asked everyone to wear blue for child abuse prevention awareness. Also, we can’t forget about spring fling, which was put on and sponsored by student government.

According to Jacquelyn Berger, Student Activities Coordinator, about 500 students attended spring fling.  12 Owens clubs, 18 different Owens departments and 9 community partners had tables lined up for students to stop at and get information.

Berger said, “This year the catering was a huge help so that we did not have to use student volunteers and we also kept everything in one location so it was easier for everyone.”

Thursday was sports day, it was held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the SHAC. Everyone who came was able to learn techniques from our athlete’s like hitting, footwork, kicking skills, dribbling, shooting, serving, digging, setting proper grip and putting techniques.

Friday was campus wide service day in the college hall atrium, it was the chance to join student government as they helped beautify our campus.  Due to the weather, some of the outdoor projects did not get done.  About 60 boxed lunches were made and taking to Family House.

Field said, I have personally volunteered at Family House and I enjoyed it.  The think I like the most about Family House is the fact that they are able to keep families who are down on their luck together.  Family House has a lot of really amazing resources available to help families get on their feet.”

Student Government is also planning on handing out water to the runners at the Glass City Marathon.

Christopher Giordano (right), Dean of Student Activities, Jacquelyn Berger, Cordinator of Student Activites and Danielle Filipchuk, Manager of Student Conduct, stop by for a selfie with Big E.

Photo by: Katie Buzdor

Pictures from spirt week

Students take there turn on the velcro wall.