MENU

2015 Graduation … Congrats You Did It !!

By Amanda Aylwin, Sports Editor

Students file in to the gym while family members and loved ones take pictures.

Photo by: Alecia Thompson

The doors opened to the public and within minutes the Owens Community College hallways began to fill with family and friends awaiting the arrival of one of the most important moments in one of their loved ones lives, their college graduation.

As time neared, 765 graduates began to fill the halls of the SHAC. The sound of laughter, voices and the unmistakable sound of the camera shutter clicking echoed through the building. The time was coming and the energy in this hallway was high. These graduates were ready to not just walk across the stage, but open a new chapter in this journey we call life.

The graduates lined up with the people they started this journey with, some strangers that in the last few years became the people they spend more time with than family. The march began towards the end of this chapter of their lives started now.

The graduates entered the room followed by the faculty adorning the matching black robes, but each in a different color showing what he or she is there for. This same faculty is the people who not just taught them, guided them, listened to them and spend more time with some of these people then their own family.

Family members of Darin and Christopher Sprouse, receive diplomas in there honor. Both students passed away before the semester ended.

Photo by: Amanda Alywin
Brothers of Darin Post, receive a diploma in his honor.

As the graduates sat chatting, texting and taking pictures while looking around for loved ones, speakers begin to take the stage. Speakers including Senator Randy Gardner, the class representative Ebony White and Dr Michael Bower, each took their turn to address the graduating class. Though different, each saying in the end the typical good job, you made it and each with their own personal bits of advice. With the end of each speech the graduates got a bit more antsy.

Then a special moment came, a moment that some expected because we all know when a lost brother doesn’t get to finish the battle alive we carry him to the very end and make sure that it is known he fought to the very end. Three gentleman were called on stage to accept a degree for a brother than could not finish the battle, a brother that could only be watching from up above. This is the moment where it became real. The tears fell for the lost brother and the graduates knew right then and there how special this moment is. Not all that started the battle with them made it out alive.

Students from the Caterpillar Dealer Services Technician Program remember their two classmates that passed away before graduating.

Photo by: Alecia Thompson

The graduates took their turn to walk across the stage, and shake the hands of the people that were just as proud of them as those watching in the crowd. Each graduate had their picture taken with the American flag before going back to that seat no longer a student, but a graduate of Owens Community College.

The names then began; 765 graduates 224 honors graduates, 112 from Findlay, 6 from the summer semester. The degrees included 116 Associate of Applied Business Degrees; 414 Associate of Applied Science Degrees, 118 Associate of Arts Degrees, 106 Associate of Science Degrees and 11 Technical Studies Degrees, bringing the historical total for Owens to 37,548 Associate Degree graduates

Congrats, Class of 2015 you did it !!!!!

Photo by Amanda Alywin

With the help of his daughter, Lee Welch shows off his graduation hat.