MENU

A quick run through of the November Board of Trustees meeting

November 1st, 2016

By Jay Hernandez, Webmaster

A Board of Trustees Meeting was held in the Administration Hall on Nov. 1. Here’s a quick run down of what was gone over at the meeting.

Events

Dr. Mike Bower, president of Owens Community College, confirmed that college will be closing on Nov. 11 in honor of Veteran’s day and Nov. 23 – 27 for Thanksgiving break.

Also, everyone invited to start celebrating the holiday season with their families Dec. 4 at the Toledo Campus’ Fine and Performing Arts Center. The Owens Concert Band will be performing Christmas classics and honoring all veterans for the 75th anniversary of the Dec. 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. Veterans are urged to wear their military ribbons, medals and/or hats to the concert. The Cherry Street Mission Ministries CEO, Dan Rogers, will give a brief message at the event. The mission will also have a table in the lobby after the concert where donations can be made in an effort to share the holiday blessings with those less fortunate.

Achievements

Dr. Bower read a letter from the ADAI (Assistance Dogs for Achieving Independence) announcing that together Owens and the ADAI raised $40,000 for service dogs. It was considered a “howling” success. Pun intended.

Amy Giordano, Interim Vice President of Enrollment Management, Student Services & Marketing, announced that the Owens Express Volleyball team had recently ranked second in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) poll. Owens Express writer, Nicholas Huenefeld, declared the ranking as Owens highest in the program’s history (at the NJCAA Division II level) since 2001.

Student Life

Giordano thanked all those who attended the Owens Express Athletic Hall of Fame ceremony in October. The event was attended by many Owens athletic alumni and their families.

Sexual Violence Prevention

Giordano credited the success of Danielle Filipchuk, Director of Student Conduct & Student Life, for making great strides in student life by conducting campus surveys. She’s also been credited for increasing student communication and education of Title IX. Title IX is a comprehensive federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity.

You may remember the mass email sent out in regards to the interactive online program, Not Anymore. The program is designed to train students to recognize, help, and prevent sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking and more. Last year only 16 people completed the program. So far this year, 39% of first-year students have completed the training, that’s 648 of 1,641 students.

Retention Prediction Model

A computer program may be able to inform instructors which students are falling behind and in what areas. This is a “Retention Spectrum”. The program takes all of a student’s academic work into consideration and assigns them a number on the spectrum. The spectrum determines how likely it is the student will have to repeat the class and alerts the student’s instructor so they can intervene and get the student the proper help. This program has been tested at schools across the country and will begin its pilot experiment of 800 Owens students this upcoming semester.

Student Government

Stewart Puckett, student government president, approached the board announcing the success of Halloween trick-or-treating on campus. Students dressed in costumes to collect candy and raffle tickets from more then 30 offices that participated across campus. The OZONE offices took first place as the best-decorated office.

Transfers

Dr. Steve Robinson, vice president of academic affairs for Owens Community College, announced his goal for students to plan a road mapped future to their careers. A future where students can easily transfer to a 4-year college, as juniors, after completing their credit hours at Owens.

Finance

The board also made an agreement to raise the cost of fees for enrollment, technology use and student activities. These increases are to keep equipment relevant and to give students the education to push forward into the job market. The board approved these non-general fees to be effective beginning the 2017 Spring semester.

For 6 or more credit hours

• Academic Technology Fee … $9.00/Credit Hour
  • Administrative Technology Fee … $19.00/Credit Hour
  • Computer Usage … $6.00/Credit Hour
  • Student Activities … $4.50 / Credit Hour

For students with 12 credit hours or less, the registration fee will be $25.00 per semester.

The board also agreed on an adjustment to rates for international students. Currently, out of country students are charged two and a half times the normal student rates. This will be decreased to two times normal rates, the same as out-of-state students.

According to Vanessa McCray, staff writer for the Toledo Blade, the board also authorized the local administration of facility projects paid for by $7.8 million dollars allocated in Ohio Senate Bill 310 from the state’s capital budget. The funding includes $2.25 million for the first phase of renovations to College Hall. Also, a $500,000 Kingsley Hall project includes installing an elevator in the building that houses classrooms and a small auditorium. A veterans services center will be located in the hall. The project is expected to be finished by the end of June.

David Cannon, VP/CFO and Treasurer, reviewed the preliminary Fiscal Year 2016 and indicated an increase of $3.88 million in net assets at the end of the year. Thomas Uhler, has scheduled an audit conference for Nov. 17.