MENU

Owens Volleyball earns third at nationals, basketball underway

By Kyle Brown, Sports Editor

The number 2 ranked Owens Express volleyball team finished third in the NJCAA Division II National Tournament that took place throughout last week.

After defeating Potomac State College of WVU and Sauk Valley Community College on the first day, the team lost to Lincoln Land Community College in three sets.

After falling behind early against fourth seeded Catawba Valley Community College, the Express would pull off a victory to earn third place honors. The team finished their season with a remarkable 41-5.

The men’s and women’s basketball teams have began their journey to reach nationals.

The women’s team began their season ranked at third in the nation. This marked the highest preseason start in program history. The team is currently 6-0 with their next game at home against Schoolcraft College.

Head coach Michael Llanas recently earned his 300th victory and both Jeryn Reese and Kaylah Ivey have earned OCCAC player of the week honors.

On the men’s side, the team currently sits at 4-3 who will also play Schoolcraft College on Wednesday. Their win over Lansing Community College snapped a three game loosing skid and got them back into the win column.

Sophomore forward Jaylen Tucker earned OCCAC player of the week last week.