MENU

7 students reach for gold in the pursuit of education

The Owens Outlook staff poses outside of Atlanta's Hard Rock Cafe after a tasty dinner.

Photo by Lori King

Photo by Lori King

By Kyle Benner, Photographer

The visual storytelling class of Owens Community College were given the trip of a lifetime in October. The class, taught by adjunct instructor Lori King, was granted the opportunity to join the College Media Association in their annual conference, held this year in Atlanta, Georgia.

When a student joins the visual storytelling class, they automatically join the Owens Outlook online student newspaper. Students supported by the student newspaper and Owens Student Activities flew to Atlanta to represent the Owens Outlook at the College Media Association Conference.

On the trip, the students of the Visual Storytelling class stayed at the Hyatt Regency hotel where the conference was held, and soaked up endless information about college media that could be used to enhance the Owens Outlook. The conference consisted of many seminars held in the Hyatt Regency’s countless classrooms. There was a keynote presentation each day of the conference as well, with topics ranging from tragic experiences in journalism to Atlanta’s growing and thriving film environment.

Along with college media knowledge, the Atlanta trip offered many great memories to make, as well. The visual storytelling class saw sights at Centennial Olympic Park where the Olympics were held in 1996, and even rode through downtown Atlanta in an illuminated carriage pulled by a horse. The food in Atlanta was also memorable, ranging from divulging in Hard Rock Café in Atlanta, to heading to the very top of the Hyatt Regency hotel where their restaurant Polaris revolves to reveal Atlanta’s skyline in full.

After going on this once-in-a-lifetime trip to the conference, the visual storytelling class had many takeaways. Though the students learned so much about college media and will be able to apply their new knowledge to the Owens Outlook, they gained so much more from this trip. Whether it is the strengthened friendship and comradery of classmates or the amazing memories made between them in the lively city of Atlanta, the visual storytelling class definitely made the College Media Association Conference worthwhile.

Atlanta Skyline while driving to our hotel