MENU

OCCR station sets standard

English+Professor+Dr.+Catherine+Pratt+conducts+an+interview+during+a+Voices+of+Storytelling+podcast+segment+with+Izzy+Dennis.+
English Professor Dr. Catherine Pratt conducts an interview during a Voices of Storytelling podcast segment with Izzy Dennis.

Photo by Michael Sandlin

Photo by Michael Sandlin

By Michael Sandlin, Staff Writer

Photo by Michael Sandlin

The Owens Community

College radio station (OCCR) is a hidden gem of the college.

Tucked away in a nondescript room inside the Fine & Performing Arts Center, the exterior doesn’t reveal all of the hard work that goes on within. The hosts and skeleton crew at OCCR are producing a full slate of shows from morning until night, and the quality and variety of content is astounding.

The station offers something for almost anyone. There is a punk rock show at 4 p.m. to shake off that desire to take an afternoon snooze; a hip-hop program at 10 p.m. to explore rap’s deep cuts; a brand new show that explores fresh releases in electronic music at 3 p.m., and, of course, many others to fill the time slots from 6 a.m. to midnight.

Sandwiched between the different music blocks are spoken-word radio programs that focus on life situations and interviews, and are strictly run by students.

Leading the charge for all of OCCR’s content is Owens alumni Herbey Atkinson. As station manager, Atkinson has witnessed the ups and downs of the radio station for the last year and a half, but is very pleased with its current line up.

“We were in our infancy for the longest time,” Atkinson reminices. “We had talk shows like ‘The Country Drive’ and the ‘Classic Rock Lunch’ come around and set a standard, and we want all of our newer shows to try to match that standard.”

That is no small feat, considering there are 14 unique programs currently on air, with more in the development stages.

One of things Atkinson has placed an emphasis on during his tenure so far as station manager is developing a variety in OCCR’s content.

“College radio is supposed to give you things you haven’t heard on common radio stations. You’re not going to hear the ‘hottest’ artists every 15 minutes. It is coming from different points of view. You can go from Frank Sinatra to Lil Wayne in a heartbeat!”

OCCR is currently accessible as a downloadable app from the Apple and Android app stores. It is free to download, and we encourage your listenership. You can also link to the the OCCR via Ozone on the Owens Community College website.