MENU

Black Panther is a superhero

Movie review: Right storyline at right time

Isarel Dennis

Isarel Dennis

By Izzy Dennis, Staff Writer

Black Panther does not disappoint. Or, as what many viewers are saying, it is one of Marvel’s best movies yet.
The movie stars Chadwick Boseman and Academy Award-winning actress Lupita Nyong’o, and they bring thrilling action, which most Marvel movies do.

As a huge Marvel fan, I had to go see this movie. If you follow comics on Marvel, you might notice that Marvel Cinema Universe is slightly different from the Marvel comics. However, that all goes by preference. You don’t have to read the comics to understand the movies.

Since Disney bought the rights to Marvel, the MCU has been doing a phenomenal job with keeping high ratings at the box office. Marvel has talked about their phases, and how they will release each movie. In 2018, Marvel Cinema Universe is now in the middle of the third phase, which started shortly after releasing Captain America: Civil War. In Civil War, we are introduced to Spiderman, Ant Man and, of course, Black Panther.

We eventually see each of the characters get their own back stories on their lives. However, Black Panther’s story seemed to have been the most hyped of all the movies made by Marvel, so far. Why is that? It is plain and simple, and I will sum it up in one word: Representation.

Being that is Black History month, this movie came out at the right time. There has been so much going on in the world, especially in the lives of African Americans. Unfortunately, too many times in the news, we hear about African Americans being murdered by police officers. So, a movie like Black Panther brings fans of different backgrounds and ethnicity together. This also brings out the representation the world has been waiting for.

The kingdom created in this superhero movie was beautiful. I loved the bright colors of the Afrofuturistic world of Wakanda. Basically, anything of the African culture and the people of Wakanda are heroes in their own communities, even the lady warriors who fight for their homeland. Watching the African women fight using their strengths was awesome to watch. Because, let’s be real here, the only other black woman with strength in the Marvel universe is Storm from X-Men, and it was great to see that. (Although us Marvel fans would love to see a Storm back story as well!)

What really drew me into this movie, as well is seeing the life of a young American black man, was how different their lives are like from Africa. Black Panther’s world seemed that all was well, and he hardly had any struggles. Meanwhile, the antagonist is from America, and he lived the life struggles of what African Americans go through.

The movie seemed to express how the antagonist wanted everyone to know how he felt. From there he wanted to get revenge by coming to the homeland of Africa and taking the main source of technology, to become the ruler of Wakanda.

This movie took on new levels of awesomeness; even the movie director believed he had outdone himself.
As mentioned before, this movie did not disappoint! My only personal downside as a Marvel fan is that I felt the villain should have stuck around. But, like most Marvel movies (except for Thor), the villain is usually taken out of the picture and never seen again. But that’s my personal preference of critiquing Marvel’s “Hey, maybe you should probably keep this guy! No? Okay.” However, you will understand the people who are just coming into the Marvel Cinema Universe.

If you like action and want to show children a representation of a black super hero, this is a movie for you!
But, in the words of LeVar Burton, “You don’t have to take my word for it!”